Hop til indhold

Traveling to Denmark from USA

Gæst Cynthia

Gæst Cynthia

Hello....! I hope I am not being rude... I don't speak Danish (I wish I did) but I am coming to Denmark in June for the World Dog Show in Herning. I am bringing my Danish Swedish Farmdog puppy and entering him in the show! I got him from Sweden and I adore him!

Anyway, I am nervous about bringing a dog to Denmark so I was wondering if maybe anyone could give me tips or advice? I would greatly appreciate it!

I'm flying to Copenhagen with a friend and we will be there for two weeks, from Jun 21 to July 3.

How friendly is Copenhagen with dogs? Will I be able to bring him with me when we go sight-seeing? Or is there a doggy day care I could leave him with? I don't really want to leave him, I would worry about him, but I'd like to have it as an option.

Maybe there is someone on these forums who even knows me! :) That would be fun!

Thanks!

Cynthia

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

You can bring your dog to most shops (except food stores), even the department stores allow dogs. Restaurants do not allow dogs, but many cafés do.

In the public transportation you can bring one small dog for free, but you need to carry him in a bag. In the trains and in the metro they rarely care about the bags, but in the busses they do. It doesn't have to be a closed bag though.

I don't know about any day care sorry.

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

Hello cynthia,

Welcome to this forum :-)

I would say that Denmark in general is a dog friendly country. But you will probably not be able to take your dog into most restaurants, museums etc.

You can take your dog with you on most trains and some busses if you buy a ticket for him (the same kind of ticket as a child would use).

Whether you can take your dog with you sightseeing or not depends on where you plan to go :-) If you have specific plans feel free to ask us then we'll try to help you.

In Denmark we have dog parks and "dog forrests" where dogs are allowed to run without a leash if they are under control of their owner (the dog must come to you when you call) All other places you should keep the leash on.

I wish you and your dog a great stay in Denmark and I hope you enjoy the World Dog Show. You will probably meet a lot of Danish Swedish farmdogs in Denmark as it is quite common here :-)

:vinken: Karin

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

Gæst Cynthia

Thank you both so much for your replies!

We are not sure where we are going to stay yet... we might fly in to Copenhagen and then go directly to Fredericia and stay there for the first few days. Then after the show in Herning we might go back to Copenhagen and stay there for a few days too. I'd love to see the mermaid and other tourist things of course. ;) My Dad's parents were born in Denmark so I have roots there.

My dog, Jet, is still very much a puppy so I probably won't let him run off leash unless it's a fenced area. He gets easily distracted and I would worry about losing him!

The Farmdogs are very rare here in the USA... I saw one last year and fell in love. :) My other dogs are short haired collies and border collies.

Thanks again!

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

Hello cynthia,

Welcome to this forum :-)

I would say that Denmark in general is a dog friendly country. But you will probably not be able to take your dog into most restaurants, museums etc.

You can take your dog with you on most trains and some busses if you buy a ticket for him (the same kind of ticket as a child would use).

Whether you can take your dog with you sightseeing or not depends on where you plan to go :-) If you have specific plans feel free to ask us then we'll try to help you.

In Denmark we have dog parks and "dog forrests" where dogs are allowed to run without a leash if they are under control of their owner (the dog must come to you when you call) All other places you should keep the leash on.

I wish you and your dog a great stay in Denmark and I hope you enjoy the World Dog Show. You will probably meet a lot of Danish Swedish farmdogs in Denmark as it is quite common here :-)

:vinken: Karin

You don't have to pay for small dogs if you bring a bag. :-)

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

I have heard of a dog owner who got a fine for not having a ticket for her dog. The dog was in a bag with her on the train. Maybe the ticket inspector just had a bad day :hmm:

He must have had a bad day or not known the rule. A small dog in a bag rides the trains and busses for free, is says so in the regulations. :-)

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

Hi and welcome on the forum

I would rather go by the rule, that dogs are not allowed in shops etc. I doubt you can bring him into a clothing store or other shops.

I must admit I'd get a bit annoyed if I saw a dog in a store - no matter what kind of store.

Oh and what about hotels, have you found a place, where dogs are allowed?

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

I would rather go by the rule, that dogs are not allowed in shops etc. I doubt you can bring him into a clothing store or other shops.

I must admit I'd get a bit annoyed if I saw a dog in a store - no matter what kind of store.

I think it might be different in different parts of the country. :-) In Copenhagen most clothing stores and the like allow you to bring in a small dog in a bag, especially in the center of town (Strøget).

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

Hello and welcome

I don't know the rules, but Petrine (my dog :lun:) has been on sightseeing-busses, the little turist-boats who sail around to different sightseeings (I asked, and it's free for dogs of all sizes), she's been to all kinds of shops (even foodstores, but don't do that, but all others I've never had any troubles), some cafe's, but no restaurants.

If you need a dogsitter feel free to ask me, I might be home or I can put you in contact with my dogsitter.

When in Copenhagen be very carefull of pick-pocket-people, keep your money close and a hand on your lugage - it makes me sad when I daily meet tourists who lost everything on the first day :cry: and never EVER leave your dog outside a shop (sorry, being from the US that's probably not necessary to say ;-)).

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

There isn't such a rule. The law only applies to food stores. It is up to the store owner to decide if they allow dogs or not, and since most of them do, it apparently doesn't cause them problems ;-)

Many stores even have goodies for visiting dogs, e.g. Matas, Louis Vuitton, Flügger.

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

There isn't such rule. The law only applies to food stores. It is up to the store owner to decide if they allow dogs or not, and since most of them do it apparently isn't a big problem ;-)

I didnt say it was a law, but that she could risk that the dog wouldnt be allowed in there...

And I for one can't understand why dogs need to go with into clothes stores etc... But that's an entirely different discussion..

And yes, I bring Luna when I go shopping, she stays outside... She has done so for 6 years and whoa.. I still have her.. ;-)

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

I didnt say it was a law, but that she could risk that the dog wouldnt be allowed in there...

And I for one can't understand why dogs need to go with into clothes stores etc... But that's an entirely different discussion..

And yes, I bring Luna when I go shopping, she stays outside... She has done so for 6 years and whoa.. I still have her.. ;-)

You said "go by the rule" and I said there isn't such a rule.

If a store owner doesn't want dogs in their shop they can put a sticker on the door or they can just ask you to leave. No big deal ;-)

I completely understand that Cynthia won't leave her dog and that is why she wants to take him with her around in the town. People do what they think is better for them and their dogs and I don't see any reason to question that. Everybody has different needs and wishes.

In Copenhagen quite a few dogs have been stolen, especially smaller dogs so it is really a stupid risk to run.

Cynthia, I know pretty well entire Copenhagen, and I only know 2 stores where they don't allow dogs. 1 toy shop and 1 clothes shop (which anyways only sells low quality clothes so it isn't a big loss :lol:). Even the Royal Copenhagen porcelain shop allow them, so it wouldn't be a problem at all :-D

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

If I had a small dog/puppy, I wouldn't leave it outside a store i the city, but I don't think Luna would fit under e.g. a jacket?! :blink:

---

Hi Cynthia, Welcome :vinken:

Most people in DK are friendly and understand English, so just feel free to ask before you enter a store/café, if you can bring your puppy in a bag. (be prepared for: "Nårh, hvor er den sød! :lun:" ) :mrgreen:

It's no problem to bring a dog to see the little (very little) Mermaid statue, as long as the tourist bus allows dogs.

But it sounds as if Petrine knows about these things, so I think you can bring Jet! :5up:

Hope to see a picture of the little guy btw.. :vuf:

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

If a store owner doesn't want dogs in their shop they can put a sticker on the door or they can just ask you to leave. No big deal ;-)

I completely understand that Cynthia won't leave her dog and that is why she wants to take him with her around in the town. People do what they think is better for them and their dogs and I don't see any reason to question that. Everybody has different needs and wishes.

Sorry, what I meant was standard then.. But that's just a tuggle of words..

So you dont care, that a person with allergy to dogs cant go to a clothes store and buy clothes cos there's doghairs there?

And I doubt very much that Luna would be welcomed in a store.. Copenhagen or not..

And yes I completely understand Cynthia and any other tourist coming to Denmark.. I wouldnt want to leave my dog outside a shop in a foreign country, but would leave it in the room, where I was staying or if I was travelling with family and friends, have one of them stay outside with the dog..

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

Gæst freya3010

Hi,:vinken:

I’m living near Aarhus and I have often my girl with me when I go shopping…. Even Salling, which is a huge store, allows dogs.:5up: I have only experienced very few stores where dogs not are allowed.

Often you can bring dogs to restaurants if you choose to eat outside, and I don’t think it would be a problem in June and July.:engel:

I was thinking – what about you dogs health issues? I know that he has to have a rabies vaccine and a passport. I found this side, and maybe you can find more. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

In English, "going by the rule" doesn't mean it's the law or something you HAVE to do, it's more like the general practiced thing, or an unwritten rule if you like.

Sorry for Off Topic.

Hope you have a wonderful trip to Denmark, I'd love to go myself for the world dog show. You will meet lots of Danish/Swedish Farmdogs for sure and that alone must be a brilliant experience them being so rare in the US :-D

I am certain that people in here can recommend both hotels and tourist attractions worth visiting on your stay.

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

Sorry, what I meant was standard then.. But that's just a tuggle of words..

So you dont care, that a person with allergy to dogs cant go to a clothes store and buy clothes cos there's doghairs there?

And I doubt very much that Luna would be welcomed in a store.. Copenhagen or not..

And yes I completely understand Cynthia and any other tourist coming to Denmark.. I wouldnt want to leave my dog outside a shop in a foreign country, but would leave it in the room, where I was staying or if I was travelling with family and friends, have one of them stay outside with the dog..

It is very few people who have such a heavy allergy that they can't even visit a shop where there has been a dog for a short time. It is different from visiting a home where a dog is living. If the store owners had received complaints from other customers, don't you think they would have put a sticker on the door?

Since you show so much consideration to other people, I assume that you don't wear any deo or perfume when you go shopping? More and more people are allergic to scents.

Maybe you should also show consideration to people whose dogs can't be alone, old people for whom it is a challenge to climb the stairs and people for whom the daily life simply is a puzzle. For them it can mean a LOT that they can buy toothpaste or shampoo when they are anyway walking the dog and passing the shops.

Still it is NOT the standard that small dogs cannot be taken to stores in Copenhagen.

Luna is a big dog - I have no idea how store owners would welcome her, but it isn't relevant in this case since Cynthia's dog is very small.

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

THAT's exactly what I meant:-D

Well, it doesn't make any difference in this case. There isn't such an unwritten rule. I have just now been to Matas with my dog where she was given a biscuit. They aren't selling such biscuits which means they have bought them because they like dogs and want to be kind to them. They could easily ask me to leave or put a sticker on the door if they didn't want their customers to enter with dogs. :-D

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

I just don't get (understand) why dogs need to go into Matas or any other shops besides petshops..

And I still doubt very much that Luna would be allowed inside a shop. Not that I'm gonna try, cos if I'm going places, where I wouldnt leave her outside, I would let her stay at home. Or as I wrote before, have someone watch her outside.

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

It is very few people who have such a heavy allergy that they can't even visit a shop where there has been a dog for a short time. It is different from visiting a home where a dog is living. If the store owners had received complaints from other customers, don't you think they would have put a sticker on the door?

Since you show so much consideration to other people, I assume that you don't wear any deo or perfume when you go shopping? More and more people are allergic to scents.

Maybe you should also show consideration to people whose dogs can't be alone, old people for whom it is a challenge to climb the stairs and people for whom the daily life simply is a puzzle. For them it can mean a LOT that they can buy toothpaste or shampoo when they are anyway walking the dog and passing the shops.

Still it is NOT the standard that small dogs cannot be taken to stores in Copenhagen.

Luna is a big dog - I have no idea how store owners would welcome her, but it isn't relevant in this case since Cynthia's dog is very small.

Actually I don't wear perfume, allthough not because I'm polite;-) Cos I aint.. I just don't get what a dog has to do in a shop of any other kind than a petstore. And its very strange, cos here where I live, we also have a lot of elderly people living.. with small dogs, and none of these dogs are in the shops.. No, they are sat outside..

Strange.. Oh well, I guess, we are just weird here in Køge (which really isnt that far from Copenhagen and isnt that tiny a town either)

Oh and as I started out... Perhaps she can have her dog with her, but she cant rely 100% on that.. That's all I meant..

And now I don't really wanna spend anymore time arguing with you, cos we'll never agree anyway

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

I think it might be different in different parts of the country. :-) In Copenhagen most clothing stores and the like allow you to bring in a small dog in a bag, especially in the center of town (Strøget).

In vejle you can to :blink: you just have to ask the people working there if its okay. I have many times been waiting outside stores were the sales people have asked me to come on in :lol:

And i must say...danish/swedish farmdogs are the best :hjerte: i have a girl a beautiful black and white girl. They are genius dogs with hearts bigger than them selfes :lun:

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

I just don't get (understand) why dogs need to go into Matas or any other shops besides petshops..

And I still doubt very much that Luna would be allowed inside a shop. Not that I'm gonna try, cos if I'm going places, where I wouldnt leave her outside, I would let her stay at home. Or as I wrote before, have someone watch her outside.

Yeah but Luna is a big dog :blink: there are different unwritten rules for small dogs :blink:

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites