Hop til indhold

Traveling to Denmark from USA

Gæst Cynthia

I just don't get (understand) why dogs need to go into Matas or any other shops besides petshops..

And I still doubt very much that Luna would be allowed inside a shop. Not that I'm gonna try, cos if I'm going places, where I wouldnt leave her outside, I would let her stay at home. Or as I wrote before, have someone watch her outside.

I have explained you in #20.

It is perfectly fine that you don't have that need, but why can't you accept that other people have other needs?

Why do you make a trouble out of it when it apparently works fine for store owners and customers as well?

And why do you start this discussion in a thread where Cynthia is asking about the rules - and not about someone's opinion? I doubt if it helps her.

Maybe you are right that Luna wouldn't be welcome, and I perfectly understand why a dog owner would not welcome a big dog with a wagging tail, but a small dog is different.

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

Actually I don't wear perfume, allthough not because I'm polite;-) Cos I aint.. I just don't get what a dog has to do in a shop of any other kind than a petstore. And its very strange, cos here where I live, we also have a lot of elderly people living.. with small dogs, and none of these dogs are in the shops.. No, they are sat outside..

I just don't get what is the problem of taking the dog. When the store owner think it is fine why not?

There is a serious risk that the dog would be stolen or hurt if you leave it outside. Probably the risk is smaller in Køge than in Copenhagen, but still I find it quite irresponsible. If the dog is taken it might be gone forever - the police does nothing and you can't expect it to search for you itself.

Nobody would leave a wallet outside the store, although I presume a dog means more to you than a wallet?

Strange.. Oh well, I guess, we are just weird here in Køge (which really isnt that far from Copenhagen and isnt that tiny a town either)

Strange - I don't know - it just seems that people there aren't very courteous if it is the way you say.

Oh and as I started out... Perhaps she can have her dog with her, but she cant rely 100% on that.. That's all I meant..
She can rely on the possibility to take her dog to 98% of the non food stores.

And now I don't really wanna spend anymore time arguing with you, cos we'll never agree anyway
True
Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

It seems like it is very different with the rules in Copenhagen and in Herning. In Herning (is it called in?:confused:) some stores allow a small dog in a bag, but many (most stores actually) do not allow them. In food stores they don't (because of the hygiene rules).

The busdrivers in Herning are very strict about the fact that you have to pay a child ticket to have the dog with you on the bus, but they are wrong. The rules say it is for free if you have a small dog in a bag (one of my friends even managed to get a large dog in a bag on the bus for free :lol: ).

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

^It is a good idea to print the rules and carry them with you. Some of the bus drivers aren't really updated. I experienced twice that they wouldn't allow the dog although I had a bag for her - I complained to the bus company and it seems to have worked because I haven't had any troubles for the last 2 years or something like that. :-)

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

Actually I don't wear perfume, allthough not because I'm polite;-) Cos I aint.. I just don't get what a dog has to do in a shop of any other kind than a petstore. And its very strange, cos here where I live, we also have a lot of elderly people living.. with small dogs, and none of these dogs are in the shops.. No, they are sat outside..

Strange.. Oh well, I guess, we are just weird here in Køge (which really isnt that far from Copenhagen and isnt that tiny a town either)

Oh and as I started out... Perhaps she can have her dog with her, but she cant rely 100% on that.. That's all I meant..

And now I don't really wanna spend anymore time arguing with you, cos we'll never agree anyway

When Mio was younger, I went to different stores (Salling, Bruuns Galleri,...) with him for no other reason, than teaching him how to behave in/not to be affraid of crowds.

I would never leave him outside in big cities like Århus or CPH, but I leave him outside the store here in Mårslet 15min south of Århus.

And I think elderly people is used to leave dogs outside stores, they didn't grow up with the same acceptance and increased violence/odd behaviour as we did.

Cynthia:

I think Jet would be welcome most places, the few exceptions there might be, might not matter that much (find another café/let your friend look after Jet while browsing the racks quickly, e.g.)- did that make any sense? :hmm: My English is a bit rusty I think. :genert:

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

But why is it necessary to bring the dog inside? THAT is what I don't understand

Maybe because you want your dog to be with you, istead of leaving it outside alone - Why even bring the dog to the store, if you are going to leave it outside anyway? :vedikke:

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

In the perspective of everyday life I also cannot see the big point in bringing your dog shopping.

However if you are on holiday somewhere and you are living in a hotel or somewhere else where you wouldn't like to leave the dog alone. (I for one don't like leaving Bot-Bot in the trailer-tent in the summer when we are camping, cos it gets really hot in there sometimes), or if your dog has not yet been taught how to be alone. In cases like that I would bring my dog shopping (obviously not in stores with food for hygienic reasons) and always pop my head in first to ask if I can bring the dog, if not I don't go in, under no circumstances would I leave her outside, as I have already once in my life experienced what it is like coming back out and your dog is gone :(

It is very different from place to place whether they will accept dog or not.

For Cynthia: I don't think you need to worry too much about bringing your puppy around town, most places will probably welcome her happily :)

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

But why is it necessary to bring the dog inside? THAT is what I don't understand

Because the dog can be stolen or hurt by a passing dog or even humans.

Why are you so much against if it is ok with the store owner?

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

What Zarina said :blink:

Because the dog can be stolen or hurt by a passing dog or even humans.

Why are you so much against if it is ok with the store owner?

If you are going to go on a shopping trip for many hours, you dont want to leave your dog alone for that long. And considering that you might be exausted when you get back and dont have the strenghts to exercise your dog for a couple of hours to. Then its nice to be able to bring it with you, plus the dog gets all new imprints and experiences and is really tired afterwards.

And its really nice to spend the day with you best friend, being dog or human :blink:

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

What Zarina said :blink:

If you are going to go on a shopping trip for many hours, you dont want to leave your dog alone for that long. And considering that you might be exausted when you get back and dont have the strenghts to exercise your dog for a couple of hours to. Then its nice to be able to bring it with you, plus the dog gets all new imprints and experiences and is really tired afterwards.

And its really nice to spend the day with you best friend, being dog or human :blink:

Exactly :5up:

But of course you have to consider whether the trip is nice for the dog as well. I would never take my dog to the department store in the rush hour because she doesn't like crowds, but in the midday when there are only few people, it works fine and she enjoys all the attention she gets from the sales assistants. I remember going there without my dog, and one of the sales assistants was blaming me that I didn't bring her :lol:

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

Exactly :5up:

But of course you have to consider whether the trip is nice for the dog as well. I would never take my dog to the department store in the rush hour because she doesn't like crowds, but in the midday when there are only few people, it works fine and she enjoys all the attention she gets from the sales assistants. I remember going there without my dog, and one of the sales assistants was blaming me that I didn't bring her :lol:

I agree, and I do exactly the same. I bring my dog into shops if he enjoys it,... creating an adventure and an experience that I can`t give him otherwise. It´s also a good way to get your dog used to different situations, and it strengthens the dogs ability to cope with an unusual atmosphere.

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

• 2 weeks later...
Gæst Cynthia

Thanks for all the replies! I've been painting my spare bedroom and cleaning the house like mad for guests and also I had a maid come and help clean. Ugh. I'm tired!

Anyway I would, of course, respect whatever the store owner says. If they ask me not to bring him in, I would not. If I can, that would be fine too. I understand some people have very bad dog allergies and I would not want to cause them any discomfort!

I don't want to leave Jet alone while I am there. I would never, not in a million years, leave him outside a store here in the US, and I wouldn't do it in any other country either. I would be terrified that someone would steal him! He is such a wonderful little boy. I'm coming with a friend so, if we have to, one of us will wait outside with him while the other goes shopping.

Here we have Doggy Daycare where we can leave our dogs for a day if we need to. Are there Doggy Darecares in Copenhagen? I still don't know if I would leave him there, I would be so worried. He is my baby boy and I could not bear it if he was taken from me, so I would prefer to keep him with me at all times.

I don't mind letting my friend go into museums and such on his own while I stay outside or do something that Jet can do. It's like having a baby, but even more limiting, to travel with a dog. But that's okay, it's a labor of love! :)

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

^I have been googling daycare for dogs and I didn't find anything in Copenhagen. It isn't that common here yet. We have some kennels but they are mostly in the country and it would be difficult for you to check the standards from home. I would never put my own dog in such a place.

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites

When Mio was younger, I went to different stores (Salling, Bruuns Galleri,...) with him for no other reason, than teaching him how to behave in/not to be affraid of crowds.

Darn! I could swear that I did see a "dog forbidden" sign at the Salling enterance?? I was thinking of doing just the same, while we were in Århus, and Baldur was still a "small" puppy - but as far as I could see, dogs were not allowed in centers like Storcenter Nord, Bruuns Galleri and Salling. :(

I only looked for the signs and did not ask anyone.

Cynthia, hopefully you will have a great stay in Denmark. Danish people are generally helpful and friendly. Rules are ment to be bend ;-), and it never harms to ask, if you are in doubt of anything.

Link til indlæg
Del på andre sites